Artificial intelligence is found all around us – although, in fact, we sometimes get disappointed when we see what has been achieved when the potential is much greater. Artificial intelligence has the power to change the world, but it is a gradual process.
The processes of information transformation in the human brain are proceeding according to the little-known laws. One knows the initial and final set of information, not the process of transforming information. Within the science of information processing, algorithms and methodologies of information processing in the human brain are being increasingly explored. The revealed principles are being classified in the new scientific field of informatics, the science of artificial intelligence. Artificial intelligence seeks to solve computer problems such as those that require a methodology of mental work.
Various systems based on artificial intelligence have already been equated with man in many areas.
Machines beat cyber-athletes in video games, come to scientific discoveries, and more recently have learned to understand languages better than humans.
Artificial intelligence is developing relatively quickly and is already widely used in the following applications.
The positive aspects of applying artificial intelligence:
– intelligent database handling. In these systems, the user is given access not only to the data that can be accessed directly but also to the derived data that is attained after the analysis of directly obtained data. This is possible with user models, which describe various user needs, expectations and opportunities.
– robotics. Physical, constructive work is done with some degree of adaptation. The ability to identify the object’s position and circumstances to select the appropriate method to achieve a predetermined goal is significant. From the basic actions, a plan of activities is drawn up, which are needed for the transition from one state of the robot to another. It has a great impact on the further development of the industry.
– processing of natural and artificial languages. Translation or preparation for translation from one language to another is rapidly evolving.
– intelligent communication with the computer. Clear communication with the computer during its operation, depending on the task.
– understanding and generating live language. With a modest amount to say and simple grammar, this is possible on some more powerful computers. The computer, besides the meaning of individual words, must also know the relations between them, the grammar of the language and the concepts associated with objects, as well as the relations between the sentences.
– automatic programming. The task, which is written in a specific language (e.g. predicate-calculus), is translated into some programming language or executable code. The program executing this must know the syntax of the source and executable languages, as well as the possible data structures, conventions for handling input-output and display.
– machine learning. Some significant learning and advice-based learning programs have been developed, based on inductive reasoning and discovery.
– knowledge-based systems. These include expert systems that solve tasks of a symbolic nature, can explain their behaviors and conclusions, they can refine, to solve significant, difficult and complex problems that include uncertainty.
The use of robots is increasing today, they are replacing humans in dangerous and difficult jobs that humans cannot do. Robots surround us every day. They are used in industries where they are almost irreplaceable and boost production productivity, also in all walks of life and even in medicine. Robot-assisted operations have a great advantage over real surgeons because of their more precise movements, but they are far from replacing real surgeons. The biggest problem facing scientists is how to give the robot emotions. The robots made so far have been used to entertain the human population, a talking robot, dancing, playing football.
In everyday life, people take advantage of artificial intelligence by using smartphones and cars. Since the late 1970s, research has been carried out in the field of autonomous vehicles – vehicles that could safely reach point A to point B without human intervention.
Artificial intelligence will enable the development of chatbots that communicate with online store customers in the early stages. Also, it will be a key element in improving the performance of search systems and translation programs. However, we are still far from real communication with machines. Most algorithms answer questions based on facts, but unlike humans, they lack reasoning skills.
Negative and dangerous aspects of the application of artificial intelligence are manifested by its application in the military field. The military deployment of artificial intelligence can lead to catastrophic consequences, even without direct involvement in the management of nuclear weapons. For example, this can happen when using artificial intelligence during intelligence analysis as well as in early warning systems.
Deployment of artificial intelligence can certainly be beneficial to us and to the military, but its use should be restricted and not extended to nuclear weapons, as this could cause a catastrophic scenario. Perhaps, new regulations and restrictions need to apply in AI applications, in order to put a limit to its freedom of act based on its own will only.